One of the first things to go out the window during stressful times is your peace of mind.
Worry, stress and anxiety can depress your immunity. Immunity is correlated with skin health.
So if you didn't have a relaxation practice up til now, it’s a great time to start. And if you had one and it has lapsed, time to get back on the wagon.
For those just beginning this process - What calms you?
Is it prayer? Meditation? Yoga? Listening to calming music or sounds? A repetitive, solitary hobby? A walk in nature?
If even this question overwhelms you, let’s start with simple breathing exercise that you can use almost anywhere or anytime.
This is called Square Breathing, and its helpful for;
- anxiety, stress or overwhelm
- when faced with a big decision
- when your creativity is sluggish
- in managing already diagnosed pain
How to begin:
- sit in a chair with your back supported and feet flat on the floor. Close your eyes if possible. If needed, you can also lie down.
- breathe in slowly to the count of 4. If you’re too tense to manage 4 counts, then do 3. Or two. Let’s just begin somewhere.
- Hold that breath for the count of 4 (or whatever your number is today).
- Exhale that breath for the count of 4.
- Neither inhale or exhale for a count of 4.
- As you do this, let any other thoughts float on past your consciousness. Just focus on the breath. Bring yourself back to the breath as needed.
- Repeat, repeat, repeat. Give yourself some time each session to feel your body and mind relax. If you can only do a few minutes, that’s fine. See if you can implement it a few times a day.
- You can use as many counts as suits your needs. Some people try to increase the count but it’s not necessary for now.
- You’ll love how this calms you, but please do not use this technique while driving or other times when you need to be alert.
So start now, and have a few minutes each day where you reconnect with your breath to provide the benefits of being calm throughout your day. Practicing now will give you a tool you can use to quickly calm your nerves in any situation.
Share with a friend in need!